WALKING THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA
The Great Wall of China was always somewhere that amazed and fascinated me and the real deal did not disappoint. We got a bus from Beijing airport and arrived at Badaling Great Wall about 40 minutes after. Badaling Great Wall is one of the most touristy spots but very well maintained and great for picture taking. I you want shots without tourists or just to visit the Great Wall of China without the hustle and bustle, go early in the morning, the first buses from the city center start leaving around 5.10 am.
When we arrives at the entrance we could pay for a cable cart or simply walk up. We chose the walk as we wanted to experience the build up to it as much as possible.
The Mutianyu section of the Great Wall is very well preserved and is like going back in time. We walked for hours along the wall taking in as much as we could. The length of it is 3.4 miles. It was spring time, so the air was fresh and it was very pleasant.
– The reason this area is so well preserved is because it is in a Valley that protects it. Also leading up the great wall are some amazing temples and government centers that you can visit if you desire.
– The started building the Great Wall in 500 CE. It is still being repaired and constructed today which makes for its grand appearance.
You can take a tour but it is really easy and simple to do it yourself. Catch a bus from Beijing to the Great Wall (about 14RMB/$2), then when you get there pay the entrance fee of 40RMB/$6, and you can spend as long as you want there, like we did.
– You will have many of section options to visit. Badaling is 1.5 hours from the city center and is very popular with tourists. If you want to visit, I would recommend spring or fall. Apparently in the summer months, the heat is unbearable. Jinshanling is less touristy, however if is a bit overgrown with vegetation and less well maintained. You can also go to Huanghua Cheng, which is harder to get too, but as amazing views and scenery.
– Visit Beijing in Spring or Fall otherwise you will either be frozen or boiling hot, neither of which are very pleasant to go exploring it, unless you are very hardy and enjoy that kind of thing.
– Buses run from the city center every morning. Simply jump on one and it will take you right there.
If you have any questions about the Great Wall of China, please comment below, I would be more than happy to help.